Search This Blog

Saturday, January 28, 2012

Can you pass an ideological Turing test?

I try to avoid partsian political debates. This is partially because I don't really support any particularly political party, but mostly because I find that people who live in that world sound like idiots when they brainlessly mount arguments in support of their own side, and burn in effagy the strawmen that represent their ideological opponents. The truth rarely emerges in the context of such language. If this is you, you probably don't realize it. Of course, you think, the supporters of "insert political affiliation here" are idiots, liars, corrupt, and your side is honest, generally smart, and well meaning.

So here's a test: what blogger Brian Caplan calls an "ideological Turing test" A turing test is basically when a computer tries to pass for a human. A human has a conversation with both another human, the computer, and if he can't tell the difference, the computer passes. The ideological turing test is this:

Can you explain the views of the other side in a manner that those on the other side would both recognize and agree with? If you're a liberal, can you explain the views of the conservatives in such a way that you might be able to convince a conservative that you are in fact one of them? If you are a conservative, can you do the same?

If not, you're probably a partsian hack.

I don't think a lot of liberals or conservatives would pass this test. It's hard to imagine how you can really have a discussion with someone whose views you don't understand. Of course, it is my experience that most ideologues don't care to make the effort.

1 comment:

  1. I can understand the other guy's point of view, but when I know he is wrong, wrong, wrong, and I know I am right, right, right - then I hardly see the point of trying to embrace his wrongness.

    ReplyDelete